Applied placements (or practicum courses) and internships allows students to explore career options and integrate academics with a community, volunteer, or professional experience.
Applied Practica Offered by the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Students in the Applied Psychology in Human Behaviour Specializations complete spring/summer practica as part of their program requirements.
- Students in the Applied Psychology in Human Behaviour Autism & Behavioural Science Specialization take the following courses, which together provide students with >300 hours of practical experience working with individuals with autism spectrum disorders or other behavioural challenge’s
- HUMBEHV 2FP6 A/B S – Field Placement I
- HUMBEHV 3FP9 A/B S – Field Placement II
- Students in the Applied Psychology in Human Behaviour Early Childhood Studies Specialization take the following courses, which together provide students with > 500 hours of professional experience in early learning environments.
- HUMBEHV 2XP6 A/B S – ECS Practicum I
- HUMBEHV 3XP6 A/B S – ECS Practicum II
- HUMBEHV 4V12 A/B S – ECS Practicum III
Practica Offered by the Faculty of Science
Students in any Science program are eligible to enrol in Applied Science Placement Courses (SCIENCE 3EP3, 3EX6) offered by the Science Career and Co-operative Education Office. Placements must include a minimum of 60 hours (SCIENCE 3EP3) or 120 hours (SCIENCE 3EX6) of work, and there must be a self-directed, pre-approved academic component.
How to apply for Applied Science Placement Courses: To be eligible to apply, students must be in level III or above of a program in the Faculty of Science and must have credit or registration in SCIENCE 2C00 – Skills for Career Success in Science. Students are responsible for finding their own placement and academic supervisors. Students must submit an Applied Science Placement Course Application to the SCCE at least 30 days prior to day 1 of the placement term.
Internships Offered by the Faculty of Science
Students in any Science program are eligible to apply for a full-time, paid internship in industry that provides practical, academically relevant work experience. Internships are typically 4 months long but can be extended to 8, 12 or 16 months.
How to apply for a Science Internship: To be eligible to apply, students must be in level II or III of an Honours program in the Faculty of Science, with at least 9 units of course work left to complete. Completion of SCIENCE 2C00 is required. Students must find their own internships (in consultation with the Science Career & Co-operative Education Office) with participating companies through an application and interview process. Students must submit the Science 3IE0 Application Form Learning Contract. Note there is a course fee of $500.