RCT Practicum Courses
The RCT students who have been here a while will know that we've gone through a few attempts to meld the necessary flexibility of the timing of the practicum courses with the inflexibility of record keeping within the constraints of Mosaic. In the fall of 2018 I think we settled on a good solution. I am taking a risk calling this "final", I do realize... but I like the simplicity of this approach and I think it will work.
The issue is that you can't always predict how long your practicum course will take, leading to petitions to extend the course, incomplete grades, and a lot of paperwork and hassle. The following procedure attempts to avoid this, but you DO have to keep your eye on the calendar so that you don't miss the add/drop deadlines (look for Sessional Dates in the current year's Graduate Calendar).
(1) The new procedure affects registration in these 4 courses:
Psych 756 Clinical Practicum I (3 units)
Psych 757 Clinical Practicum II (3 units)
Psych 758 Longitudinal Prac: Psychodiagnostics (6 units)
Psych 759 Longitudinal Prac: Core Skills (6 units)
(2) In Mosaic you will see each of Psych 756, 757, 758, and 759 as stand-alone single-term courses in each of the fall (Sept-Dec), winter (Jan-Apr), and summer (May-Aug) terms. You will select which term to register in - you register in one term only - and it should be the LAST term of your practicum. The grade is due at end of that term.
- * If you don't see the course in Mosaic, let Nancy or me know.
(3) As usual, register in SGS 700 as a placeholder course in any term in which you are not registered in any other course.
(4) Here are examples:
- (a) If your practicum is scheduled from September - April, then you should register for Winter term (grade is due in April). Monitor your progress in the practicum because if it is likely to go overtime, you will need to drop the course before the add/drop deadline in the Winter term so that you can register for the following Summer term instead.
- (b) If your practicum is scheduled from January - December, then you should register for Fall term (grade is due in December). Monitor your progress in the practicum because if it is likely to go overtime, you will need to drop the course before the deadline in the Fall term so that you can register for the following Winter term instead.
- (c) If these examples are not clear, send me your dates and I'll make it more specific to your dates.